ADHD specialists

ADHD is often diagnosed by different sorts of professionals. Psychiatrists, pediatricians, neurologists, psychologists, social workers, nurse practitioners, and other certified counselors or therapists are among them (e.g. professional counselors, marriage and family therapists, etc.).

Professionals who specialize in ADHD treatment

ADHD can be addressed by a doctor who has studied ADHD and mental health in depth. Many pediatricians and family doctors have taken the measures necessary to better understand and treat ADHD in order to satisfy the needs of their patients.

Psychiatrists, pediatricians, and neurologists, in particular.


Social workers are people who help people.

Nurse practitioners are people who work as nurses.

Professional counselors, marriage and family therapists, and other licensed counselors and therapists

Professionals Who Diagnose and Treat ADHD has further information about these individuals.

Finding an ADHD specialist: Some pointers

Your existing health care plan, or your child's plan, is a fantastic location to start your search for an ADHD expert. On the website of your health-care plan, you'll discover a list of participating providers. These doctors take your insurance and are frequently available without a referral from your primary care physician or your child's pediatrician.

If you do not have health insurance, another option is to contact your local county or state health department to inquire about mental health services and clinics in your area. Patients are frequently accepted on a sliding-scale basis at such clinics.

To locate an ADHD specialist in your area, go to:

Look through the CHADD Resource Directory or another directory for more information:

Today's Psychology

The Center for Mental Health Services in the United States

The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry is a professional organization dedicated to child and adolescent psychiatry

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is a group of doctors who

The American Academy of Neurology (AAN) is a professional organization dedicated to

The American Medical Association (AMA) is a professional organization that

Association of Social Workers in the United States

The American Psychological Association (APA) is a professional organization dedicated to

Inquire at your local hospital, college, or university about the availability of an ADHD clinic. The list of Hospital and University ADHD Centers maintained by CHADD can be useful.

What method did you use to locate an ADHD specialist? What advice would you provide to someone who is looking?

It can be tough to find a specialist who can assist you or your child manage with the symptoms of ADHD. We offer a few pointers to help you in your quest. Continue reading for more ideas.